VP of Engineering
San Francisco, CA
Location/City : CA - San Francisco
Area Code : 408
Job Type : 1: Full Time
Id : 23580
#23580 VP of Engineering Consumer Electronics
Location: San Francisco, CA
Our client was born out of their love for pets. As the world s first technology company dedicated to helping pets live longer and happier lives, we build solutions for common problems faced by pet parents everywhere. Whether a pet is an escape artist, an avid adventurer or a happy couch potato, our client provides information and insights to help ensure both pets and their people stay healthy and happy for years to come.
Their current market-leading products include a cellular-enabled GPS tracker and a WiFi & Bluetooth-enabled activity monitor. They do all design and development in-house, from PCB design to embedded software, data analytics to mobile apps. Our pack thrives on solving hard problems in nimble teams.
As part of the largest petcare company in the world, our clients are positioned for growth as we continue to evolve our product offerings and add to our very dynamic team. If you believe you have what it takes to work in a highly independent, fast-paced environment where teamwork is critical and flexibility is a must, then our client might be the place for you.
As the VP of Engineering (Software) you ll lead the team in the development of all software. You ll work closely with product management to define our roadmap and partner with your team to develop an architecture that can scale users, devices and geographies. This role will report directly to the CEO and will be a part of Whistle s management team - participating in larger company vision setting
- Build and lead a multi-disciplined team of on-site and remote engineers including front-end, back-end, mobile, and DevOps to deliver high availability and high-quality solutions.
- Ensure their infrastructure is horizontally scalable, highly available, and modular enough to scale up without significant changes to tooling or architecture
- Own and define the technical aspects of our software architecture including release and execution of application delivery using technologies like Node.js, Ruby on Rails, Python, and Elixir on Amazon Web Services
- Support the current and future business needs including functional feature development, scalability, and everyday production support
- Manage relationships with 3rd parties and vendors, including managing the overall team spend and budget
- Iterate and improve on our agile and engineering processes to ensure accurate delivery and high quality
- Manage multiple disciplines of Engineering leaders and individual contributors, providing mentorship to both technical and managerial path
- Own and represent software roadmap, reporting project and team status to leadership team
- Collaborate with engineers in the ecosystem to validate and build products, and provide insights across business units
- Support company-wide technology decisions as a member of our engineering leadership team
- 5 - 10+ years relevant industry experience
- 5+ years in managerial or technical leadership role
- Experienced in multi-national software deployments (e.g., North America, EU, Asia, etc)
- Managed and built teams of engineers with diverse backgrounds and experiences, including remote employees
- Has managed full department budget (operational, infrastructure, headcount, etc)
- Built web services and solutions supporting 100,000 s of users
- Experience developing high-performing, reliable cloud services using Amazon Web Services and open source technology (PostgreSQL, Redis, RabbitMQ), including deployment pipelines
- Understanding of Infrastructure as Code and why it s beneficial - experience using tools like Terraform or Cloudformation to provision and maintain infrastructure
- Effective planner- able to consistently and accurately plan released both at a high and granular level
- Passion for open source technology and contribution to the open source landscape
- Experience caring for a dog, cat, or other pet