Back End Engineer
San Francisco, CA
Location/City : CA - San Francisco
Area Code : 415
Job Type : 1: Full Time
Id : 22642
#22642 -- Back End engineer - Live Television Streaming Service
Location: San Francisco, 94107
Our Client is a San Francisco-based startup building the future of television letting you watch your favorite shows on all the devices you care about with intelligent search, insightful discovery, and effortless sharing. Their leadership consists of founding team members from Facebook and Meraki, and brings deep industry experience to the team. They re a small team that puts our product experience first. They foster a flexible work environment that is supportive but allows for autonomy so that everyone on the team can help us build towards our vision. Our client s engineers own what they build from start to finish. They ship to production multiple times per day and keep unnecessary process to a minimum so they can maintain our pace of rapid development. They value pragmatism, having pride in our work, and deep transparency at all levels.
Job Description:Our client s infrastructure consists of 100s of machines within 50+ data-centers across the country, with new machines spinning up every week. They are harnessing petabyte storage and petaflop compute power in a highly distributed environment. The systems ingest roughly 20Gb of video per second, then transcode, segment, and encrypt it to deliver live television to their users. Meanwhile, the DVR storage system writes millions of episodes to disk every day.
Requirements:- Brainstorm, design, implement, and roll out the next generation of the system to handle an order of magnitude more channels, users, and recordings.
- Developing the video pipeline: building a highly available transcoding, segmentation, and video hosting and storage system.
- Automating system configuration: since they re a tiny team, constantly shipping hardware, they have no choice but to heavily automate our infrastructure.
- Hacking on the monitoring and management system: their admins need to understand why the system is down and how to fix it. Do they need to dispatch a satellite tech? New hardware? Is there a power outage? They try to build symptom-based monitoring that provides enough information that non-technical account reps can diagnose problems.
- Finding cheaper, faster, better hardware solutions: the product is hardware based, so we re always trying to reduce costs and improve our product.
- The Ideal candidate will be a polyglot engineer with a background in Ruby, Node, or Python in the back end while using PostgreSQL or another relational database.- 5+ years professional experience- Bachelors or equivalent in CS
Willard Thomas/Redfish Technology
Executive Recruiter, IT Sales & Marketing