Director of Engineering
San Francisco, CA
Location/City : CA - San Francisco
Area Code : 760
Job Type : 1: Full Time
Id : 22567
#22567 Director of Engineering Enterprise SoftwareLocation: San Francisco CA, 94101Company: Our Client is a global marketplace for teaching and learning online. Their course content and instructor community are constantly growing, with more than 30,000 courses taught by 16,000 instructors. They offer students the ability to learn as they go and succeed on their own terms, while instructors have a way to share their knowledge with the world. For companies, this company offers a subscription to our best business courses as well as an easy-to-use platform to create proprietary courses.Job Opportunity:- Be the engineering leader responsible for growing the number of students enrolling in the paid courses on Udemy.
- Set team goals based on company initiatives and defined metrics. Drive results through effective technical leadership, project management, and collaboration with Product Management, Design, and business teams.
- Coach team members for organizational development while supporting personal career development goals. Define success in terms of quality and level of contributions.
- Function as a leader for major initiatives and delegate as needed. This may involve resource allocation, design and code reviews.
- Continue to challenge status quo in terms of development process and best engineering practices. -- Promote healthy debates around new tools and processes and champion changes that have positive impact.
- Build a team culture that values quality, robustness, and scalability of our systems while fostering diversity and innovation.
- Build a credible team that meets delivery commitments while being responsive to product and business teams.
- Foster fun, friendly, and collaborative team environment for retention and recruiting.
- Work with internal and external recruiters to attract high quality candidates. Oversee the hiring process to fill open positions while strengthening the team ?'s diversity, capacity, and talent.
- Engage and participate in external developer meetups and events to promote Udemy engineering brand as a great place to work. Give tech talks or organize developer panels.Responsibilities- Design, develop, and maintain a distributed data processing platform
- Agile software development using Java 8 or Scala
- Collaborate with product managers, data analysts/scientists, engineers, and other business users to understand data needs
- Define and manage SLAs for the data platform and its data setsQualifications- Shown success as a second line engineering manager. Have consistently demonstrated ability and commitment to deliver on major initiatives from beginning to full deployment in a timely manner.
- Exercised exemplary development practices on design reviews, code reviews, unit testing, and following coding standards.
- Exhibited passion for innovation.
- Track record of delivering high quality products or services that meet business requirements
- Demonstrated knowledge of web development frameworks such as Ruby on Rails or Python Django and web frontend frameworks such as AngularJS or React. Have working knowledge of services that are used on our platform. Curiosity to continue to evaluate new technologies in the market that may strengthen our platform.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively within a team and with cross-functional technical and business teams.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and make quick decisions under pressure given on-going maintenance, support, and new initiatives.
- Exhibited passion for mentoring and contributing to the development of others through code reviews, tech talks, or personal coaching.
- Motivated by startups; love working in a face-paced, entrepreneurial, innovative environment.
- Willingness to "go the extra mile" when needed.Contact:Willard Thomas | Redfish Technology
Executive Recruiter | IT Sales & Marketing
L:www.linkedin.com/in/willthomas007Redfish Technology- Building Growth-Mode Tech Companies with Hand-Picked Talent.