Director of Engineering
San Francisco, CA
Location/City : CA - San Francisco
Area Code : 408
Job Type : 1: Full Time
Id : 23568
#23568 Director of Engineering Medical Publishing
Location: San Francisco, CA
Our client is an online, open-source medical journal for a new generation of both doctors and patients. Leveraging the power of a crowd-sourced community platform, they promotes medical research by offering tools that better serve and highlight the people who create it. The result? Better research, faster publication and easier access for everyone.
We make it simple and fast to publish your work. The platform is designed to provide a place for physicians to build their digital CV anchored with their posters and papers. What's more, it's always free and you retain the copyright to everything you publish.
We are looking for an entrepreneurial leader of innovation and engineering management but a developer at heart who wants to change the world. You should have expert knowledge of Ruby on Rails. Knowledge of ReactJS and Heroku is a definite plus. As the Director of Engineering, you will own the development life cycle, determining technical feasibility of features, and ensuring that the velocity of the team continues to produce well-written, bug-free code. You will manage a team of developers through hands-on training and guidance. You will build smart web applications and work with complex databases powering academic publishing, sponsored publishing competitions and custom branded micro-journals. Our client aims to improve the lives of doctors, patients and researchers by revolutionizing the screwed up academic publishing process - if you want to devise and deliver high-quality solutions that help to change the publishing status quo, then we want you!
- Drive and own all technical aspects of our publishing application.
- Work cross-functionally with our product, marketing and editorial teams to develop new features and improve existing processes.
- Build a high performance engineering team
- Manage engineering team resources and budget allocations with the leadership team.
- Push innovation through the integration of new technology, best practices and the upgrade of legacy systems.
- Be a team player in a small, flat-structured, highly collaborative environment.
- Be surrounded by a great team of highly talented professionals doing the best work of their lives, and having fun with it.
- 5 + years of relevant technical experience working in software engineering.
- Proven track record in managing full-stack engineering teams that deliver world-class products.
- Ability to develop a strategy, communicate it clearly and get buy-in and support at all levels.
- Ability to clearly develop and document processes.
- Excellent communication skills; ability to coach and manage others and clearly share insights with cross-functional team through both written and verbal presentation.
- Excellent analytical skills; ability to create a logical, researched and unbiased plan. Able to pull from past experiences and relationships to create new industry leading solutions.
- Passion about learning and tackling new and exciting technical challenges.